Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Wedding Themed Birthday Party

Girl's wedding birthday party
This year, my baby girl turned five years old.  While I wrestled with the reality that it's all going by too fast, she had bigger things to think about.  Namely, her birthday party.  
Where did the time go?
Back when I discovered Pinterest, one of the first things I saw was the idea to let your daughter wear your wedding dress and have a photo shoot.  I let Evie do this, since my dress is not boxed up.  She had so much fun and loved talking about having her own wedding, someday.  It didn't take long for this to turn into a wedding birthday party.

This year, she decided that was what she wanted.  I referred to my old friend, Pinterest, only to find nothing.  And a google search of "wedding themed birthday party" yielded nothing.  I was amazed!  I mean, it's the internet!  There is nothing you can't find on the internet, right?

I ended up using wedding shower pins as inspiration for what turned into a little wedding brunch.  I styled the party in pink and grey with some chevron and diamond details in the mix, too.  At the last minute, I added gold candles to her cake.  I learned very late in the game about "golden birthdays", and since she turned 5 on the 5th, it was her golden birthday!

I attempted to make her invitation myself, but ended up asking a more talented friend handle it in photoshop for me.

We invited a few of her friends and their parents over for 10 am on a Saturday morning.  Evie wore a white flower girl dress and my wedding veil.  After all of her friends arrived, she came down our staircase to join the party, carrying pink hydrangeas.

The plan was to let the kids dance, eat brunch, have a photo booth for the little "flower girls"... but the kids had other ideas.  Instead they had a great time playing in the playrooms and the moms got to sit and have brunch together and chat.

As for the brunch, I'll be honest, I phoned it in a bit.  I spent a month practicing icing cakes so I could make Evie the two tier wedding cake she wanted.  The morning before I took stock of my pantry, made a list of what I needed to make the cakes and icing, then headed to the grocery store.  I walked past the bakery, asked for two cakes in different sizes to pick up later and called it a day.  While I wanted to feel bad about that, I didn't.  I figured by ordering the cake, I saved myself time and frustration.

We also had a little issue with Winter Storm "Nemo" coming through the night before her party was scheduled.  At the last minute, we decided to postpone until the following Saturday, during which time I scaled back on what we planned to serve.  I had already made some items, such as the breakfast taquitos (which I can now say with complete confidence that they freeze well!) and the strawberry cream scones.  We ended up enjoying the scones the next morning and enjoying our not very snow-y day with peace and quiet.

There was a lot of assembly required with the menu.  There were items that got made a day ahead of time, and items I bought pre-made.  I'll post recipes for the home made items over the next week.

Wedding Birthday Brunch Menu:
Silver dollar pancakes - served with maple syrup and whipped cream
Donut hole kebabs with fresh fruit
Blueberry scones - with home made clotted cream and lemon curd*
Strawberry Sandwiches - whipped cream cheese, mint, sliced strawberries and a drizzle of honey
Breakfast Taquitos*
Chicken Nuggets - "for the kids" ;)
Mini Strawberry Yogurt Parfaits with mixed berries and chocolate strawberry granola
Cranberry, Pear, and Almond salad with shallot vinaigrette
Strawberry milk made with home made strawberry syrup
Wedding cake
In the butlers pantry, we set up a tea, coffee and juice station.  Lo and behold, we may have even had some impromptu mimosas!
pink/gray wedding themed birthday party
While this is not a great picture, I wanted to show the balloons,
tissue poms and lanterns hanging down.  I used some extra tulle to tie
the light fixture higher overhead.
Wedding themed birthday party
Every one got a diamond ring with their pancakes.
Wedding themed birthday party
Donut hole kebabs
Wedding Themed birthday party
Scones with lemon curd and clotted cream
Wedding themed birthday party
Two small supermarket cakes can quickly become
a two tier wedding cake!
Wedding Themed birthday party
Fruit, yogurt and granola parfaits
Evie and my best friend's son, Jake.  I love his little mustache sticker.
If you are interested in checking out my pinspriation board, here is the link:
http://pinterest.com/michellekaler/evie-s-5th-birthday-wedding-theme/

Pin It

1 comment:

All Things Yummy said...

wow, that's such a fun birthday idea