Friday, June 1, 2012

Triple Nutella Chocolate Cupcakes

I've been on a little bit of a Nutella kick lately.  Truth be told, I'm always on a Nutella kick.   My husband is an even bigger fan than I am.   He hates peanut butter and always says Nutella is "his peanut butter".  And what kid doesn't love it?  Did you know that there is a World Nutella Day?   It happens to be Evelyn's birthday, February 5.   There are even two Nutelleria locations, one in Frankfurt, Germany and one in Bolgona, Italy.   Oh, how I wish I'd known about this when I was in Bologna 5 years ago!  I think I could die happy in a Nutelleria.

So yes, I'm on a kick.  I made the Nutella tart a few weeks ago.   There was a conversation on Facebook that happened between some friends of mine and I, and one friend confessed she'd never tried Nutella.   Since she was coming over that Friday for a play date with our daughters, I decided I needed to right that wrong.   After careful consideration, I decided to make these cupcakes.
Chocolate Nutella cake.  Filled with pure Nutella.  Topped with Nutella buttercream.  How better to indoctrinate someone, right?   Truth be told, I wish I'd gone purist for a first timer.  But these cupcakes were a dream.   And I think my friend fell in love.  There were 5 of us at my house, and the recipe made 48 cupcakes.   (Had I known before I started baking, I would have halved the recipe.)  But it was all good.  We had a block party that night, so I brought along the extras.  And Nico's colleagues benefitted from this baking frenzy as well.
I have a few more Nutella posts coming this week that I am excited to share.  In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this one!

Triple Nutella Chocolate Cupcakes
recipe courtesy of Family Kitchen, originally from Good Life Eats
For the cake:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup Nutella
2 1/2 cups buttermilk

For the filling:
1/2 cup Nutella

For the Buttercream:
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup Nutella
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2-4 tablespoons heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Sift together flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until they are pale yellow and thick in consistency.  Add in the butter and mix to combine.  Add the Nutella and buttermilk, beating to combine.

Add in flour mixture, 2 cups at a time, mixing after each addition.  Scoop batter to fill lined cupcake pans 2/3 full.  Bake for 15-18 minutes until tops bounce back when lightly touched. Allow to cool in pans 5-10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.

While cupcakes are still warm, fit a pastry bag with a round tip and fill with the 1/2 cup of Nutella.  Insert the tip into the top of each cupcake in the center and squeeze the Nutella into the cakes, about 1 tablespoon each.  Allow cupcakes to cool completely.

Beat the butter and Nutella until creamy.  Mix in vanilla extract.  Add in powdered sugar and mix well. Add cream until desired consistency is reached.  Pipe buttercream onto filled cupcakes.



Pin It

2 comments:

Steph said...

OH MY GOODNESS! These were AMAZING! I was looking for a nutella cupcake recipe for my sister's bridal shower because she loves nutella and stumbled upon your blog. These turned out FANTASTIC! They were a HUGE hit at the party. They were gone immediately. Thanks for sharing!

http://oursuburbanfarm.com/2012/08/around-world-bridal-shower-or-travel.html

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen said...

Yum, these look absolutely delicious!