Saturday, August 20, 2011

Zucchini Bread

We have had a surplus of zucchini in our house this week.   It's been all zucchini bread, zucchini burgers, zucchini gratin in here. I've put zucchini in just about everything but my coffee.   The great part has been that Evelyn has eaten a lot of zucchini, unknowingly.

I really wanted to have her help me make this zucchini bread.  The moisture in it in apple juice.  Apple juice is a rare treat in my house.  I don't keep it on hand and the only reason she is aware of its existence is because her friend only drinks apple juice.  Every time she asks me for it I say, "We don't keep apple juice in our house."   So I bought apple juice for this bread and I thought she would like helping me put it all together and seeing that the apple juice is in the bread.    Just like with the Chocolate Beet Cake, I thought seeing things she loves go in with the vegetables might make her more willing to eat it.

Unfortunately, we had a long day and she went to bed early and I made the bread at 9pm.   The next morning she had zucchini bread for breakfast and I told her it had apple juice in it.   She called it Apple Juice cake and never questioned the green bits in it.   Whatever the reason for her willingness to eat it, I was not about to argue with her.  

I grew up eating zucchini bread and always loved it.   My mom made hers with nuts, which I am not a fan of.   This recipe did not call for nuts, but I am sure you could add them.  I had debated adding chocolate chips too, just to up the chances of Evelyn eating it, but turns out I didn't need to.  

The bread is super moist, even after three days.  I wrapped it well in plastic wrap and it stayed tender and  fresh tasting.  It was not terribly sweet, just perfect.  The recipe makes two loaf pans, but I opted to do 1 loaf pan and 12 muffins.   Next time I will probably just do two loaves since the muffins came out a little tough from too long of a bake.  I baked them for about 10 minutes.   I really don't know what to say about baking times.  The recipe said to bake two loaves for 1 hour, but in my matchbox oven my loaf came out perfect in a half hour.    Yet 10 minutes was too long for the muffins.   So next time, two loaves.   I'm planning to make a few more of these and freeze before the summer is over.

Zucchini Bread
courtesy of Woodfired Kitchen


2.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
2.25 teaspoons baking soda
1.5 teaspoons salt
.25 teaspoons baking powder

3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup apple juice
1.5 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups grated zucchini (this was about three large zucchini)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees with the racks set at the center.

Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.

Using the paddle attachment, beat the eggs until frothy in a stand mixer.  Beat in the sugar.  Add oil, apple juice and vanilla and beat until thick and lemon colored.

Add the flour and grated zucchini to the egg mixture and mix until just blended.

Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans (or muffin tins with liners).   Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.  Then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40-60 minutes.   The loaves will have dark, cracked tops and a toothpick inserted in a crack will come out clean.

Cool for 15 minutes on a rack before removing from the pans.

Wrapped in airtight plastic wrap, they can be stored for up to one year in the freezer.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Thank you! I can never have enough zucchini